[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 3 13:33:02 CDT 2005

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 @ 14:33 -0400, der Mouse said:

> Computer Science is a *theoretical* discipline.  Its practitioners
> *are* mathematicians (specialized mathematicians, to be sure, but
> mathematicians still).

That's not entirely correct.  Most science degrees, computer science
included, are applied science degrees.  They are not meant to be pure
theory.  The focus is often on theory, but that can't be all.

Besides, I don't think anyone here is talking about teaching for the
current popular technologies.  That's called a trade school.

> It has about as much overlap with practical programming and sysadmin as
> any field's theory does with its practice - that is to say, little to
> none.

Hmm... personally I see quite a bit of overlap, depending on the type of
programming.

Sysadmin is another story.

When I was in school, we learned much of that simply because we rarely
had people available to do it for us.

You either learned, or you would be unable to get through your
coursework.

There are pure theory degrees, but they almost always explicitely state
that's what they are.

I fully expect anyone holding an applied science degree to have
demonstrated they understand both theory and practice.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]