[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Mon Oct 3 13:44:50 CDT 2005

>> Not as far as bash is concerned; whenever I type a ^P to bash, I
>> want it to be previous-history.  ^P as `suspend' I want only when I
>> type it to something else.
> readline is your problem.  That's what bash uses to interface with
> ttys.

Then readline needs fixing, or bash needs to stop using it.  Really,
this is *not* rocket science; I managed to do it on 4.3BSD when hacking
line editing into csh.  tcsh manages to do it today.  bash could do it
too - if its maintainers cared to bother.

If I were going to be using Linux enough to make it worth my while, I'd
port over my shell (a rather mutant csh with, among other things,
command-line editing that doesn't get upset over c_cc[VSUSP]=0x10).

Of course, ranting about it here is of dubious value, since it's
clearly not a case like the ls sort order where there is a fix and I
just don't yet know about it.  (I don't suppose you know of any way to
rebind ^X so that it's not a prefix key, by any chance?)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca