[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 3 12:40:02 CDT 2005

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 @ 12:07 -0400, der Mouse said:

> I know that...now.  (Yours is not the first message I've seen saying
> that.)  But the manpage doesn't mention this lovely little surprise, so
> I had no idea that messing with the environment would fix it.

Well, I just found out that my system is configured with en_US,
but has C listed as the collating sequence.

Learn something every day... :)

> > Hmmm... I'm not sure I don't agree with bash's behavior here.  After
> > all, you are redefining what ^P is used for.
>
> Not as far as bash is concerned; whenever I type a ^P to bash, I want
> it to be previous-history.  ^P as `suspend' I want only when I type it
> to something else.

Ah, sorry, I heard you but wasn't paying enough attention.

readline is your problem.  That's what bash uses to interface with ttys.

readline runs in cbreak mode and so it will not see characters the
kernel is handling.

If you "stty susp ^P" then bash will never see the ^P, and will instead
be sent SIGTSTP, which it will ignore.

Run bash under strace (if on Linux) and you can see this.

I don't know if you can do anything with .inputrc to change this or not.

There was some discussion/argument about this many years ago, which you
can find in Usenet archives.

> > Of course, bash is not exactly the most well written shell out there.
> > Every benchmark it against others before?
>
> tcsh has no problem (I just tried it).

tcsh does its own tty handling, and runs differently than readline.

> > Oh, and what is suspc?  I don't see that in the stty settings on my
> > Linux box.  Just susp and dsusp.
>
> suspc comes from t_suspc, the name for that field in struct ltchars.
> (I started out on BSD back when they still used the BSD tty driver.)
> It's c_cc[VSUSP] in termios.

OK, I think you answered me.  I know what suspend is, I thought suspc
might be a variation like dsusp.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in