[rescue] Bad UPS II: The Sad Mac

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Mon Oct 3 09:14:09 CDT 2005

At 01:00 PM 9/30/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I have gone to the point of adding my Work address to my cards, then I
>just have the stuff sent to work attention me.  :-)

Yup.  I just e-payed a laserjet 4-plus, the duplexer for it, 500-sheet
secondary paper tray, jet-direct/localtalk card, 64 megs of ram for the
printer, and a new set of rubber rollers for the beast.  It is arriving
piece-meal at my office, I already have the network card.

Got tired of the outrageous prices for okidata image drums that go sour
after a measly 20k impressions.  $150 (full retail) for an Oki 12i drum?  I
didn't pay that for the whole printer, not by a factor of five!

LJ-4 series machines aren't speedy (and an Okipage is?), but the image
quality is quite adequate, you can fix the confounded things if they do
break, and excepting for wear items like rollers they work for bloody
-ever- before they die on you and require work.  Parts and drums are cheap
.  You can get a whole printer for about $35 (I did anyway) and scavenge
bits if you need to.

I wish all of the HP gear I've used over the years was as well-built as
these LJ-4's.

--
wes will