[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 30, Issue 48

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Sun May 29 21:51:14 CDT 2005

>Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:08:16 -0400
>From: "William Enestvedt" <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu>
> > I saw some settings like A3 and the like. And
> > it went to 25!?  What the heck is that?
> >
>    'Why can't you just mnake 10 _louder_?"
> >
> > some odd mode?  Or something weird with chaining these things
> > together??
> >
>    Yeah, you can daisy-chain up to five 5-port KVMs in a row for 25 hosts.

Oh interesting.  Well, I don't really have space for that many Sun's in the
room (unless I'm going to make
a cave out of racks....and only power the cave up during the winter 8-) )

> > But, no, after resetting it, and trying to boot the 220R,
> > still get the solid Amber and Green LED's.
> >
>   Stupid question: have you hooked up to the serial port? Is it really
>booting? Are you just impatient for the interminable POST to finish? Is
>it locked to ttya (and not sending output to the monitor) in NVRAM?
>    Did you say whether you'd booted the system with the monitor cabled
>right in to the server?

No, not hooked up to the serial port.  I actually hooked up the cable to
the KVM, and
then when I thought I should have a signal, I unhooked and hooked directly,
and lo' I had
a picture.  Hook it back up thru the KVM no picture.   I did want to make
sure I had waited
(the thing has 2 GB of ram, so it can take a minute or two..) until I
should have output.
So, I know that it does output, even if it doesn't work thru the KVM.

'Later

Earl