[rescue] Using a Lightwave with a 220R

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 25 06:03:38 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earl D. Baugh Jr." <earl at baugh.org>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:16 PM
Subject: [rescue] Using a Lightwave with a 220R

> Has anybody out there use a E220R with a Lightwave Server Switch
> 5000?    It's a 5 port KVM switch with 13w3
> and the keyboard connector.

<snip>

> Anyway, there seems to be some magic that I haven't quite figured out.
> Got
> a Raptor graphic card with the VGA plug out, to
> an adapter for a VGA to 13W3. That, running straight into the monitor
> works
> just fine.  But thru the Lightwave, I get no
> picture, I get green and amber lights.  Which is like when I've got
> signal,
> but the monitor is asleep.
> (at least that's what I get with the other Sun monitor that's hooked up to
> my PC switch box....)   The monitor is a
> standard Sun GDM 20E20, which I've not had any problems hooking up to
> otherwise.  I also checked the cables and
> ports with other Sun boxes.  All work fine with other machines, and the
> other adapter I had again, worked directly
> hooked up, but not not thru the Lightwave.

Earl,

It could be (and I'm by no means an expert here) that your 13W3 is not
passing all the required signals to the Lightwave switch. My thinking is
that your monitor is flexible enough to work with what it is being given,
but the switch is (perhaps) looking for a specific sync signal on one of the
pins that your adapter isn't relaying.

I seem to recall that there is a difference in the way SGI and Sun implement
13W3, with SGI using less of the pins - this adapter might conform to SGI,
not SUN standards/requirements.

Just a thought, hope it helps...