[rescue] Plextor PX-32TSi and ultra 1

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:54:00 CDT 2005

On 5/13/05, Dan Williams <williams.dan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Couldn't get the Plextor to work. Tried different media. Same thing. I
> > then tried 2 other drives, one that works on an ultra 2 and a toshiba
> > xm5301. I get the same error.
> >
> > Alright. I got the MAC address and put that in /etc/ethers in my
> > jumpstart machine. I added the machine also to hosts. I then did an
> > add_install_client.
> >
> > On the Ultra 1 I go to the ok prompt and boot net. snoop running on my
> > jumpstart box shows that RARP was ok, then tftp started transmitting
> > data block 1, ack came back, then data block 2, but no ack. The ultra
> > 1 went back to ok prompt:
> >
> > ok boot net
> > Boot device: /sbus/SUNW,hme at e,8c00000  File and args:
> > Using Onboard Transceiver - Link Up.
> > 4200 Data Access Error
> > ok
> >

> > I found something similar in:
> > http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/sunmanagers/2003-January.txt
> >
> > posted by srenner at idleshell.net, but no resolution. Also something
> > on comp.unix.solaris by Jeff Clark in 2000 with Andy M also
> > mentionning he's never seen this error before. Again, no resolution.
> >
> > Anybody's seen this before? I'm thinking I have something quite wrong
> > with this U1.
> >
> > Francois
> >

> I would suggest a memory problem, but can you get a working solaris
> install from another machine  and swap the drive into the Ultra 1 ?

I did have a spare motherboard, but it doesn't have the UPA slot. It's
3 sbus. Swapping motherboards (everything else is the same) and the
cdrom boots. It also boots from the network. So I definitely wont be
using a monitor on this box, it's going to fulfill the role of a
"server". Maybe running Nagios or something like that. I got a pair of
18gb in it and 512MB of ram.

Unfortunately, not knowing what generates the error, there's not much
I can do. So I guess this UPA motherboard will go to the trash. I'll
save the nvram module.

Thanks all for your help.

Francois