[rescue] WTB: Ultra 60/80

Nate nate at portents.com
Mon May 9 09:32:49 CDT 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Jonathan Sadler wrote:

> I've seen a number of PCI Radeon 7000s (as well as relabeled cards based on
> the Radeon 7000 chipset) originally for the PC successfully re-flashed with
> the MAC flash image.

It's not that simple.  Three to four different criteria need to be met -
the flash firmware capacity has to be big enough, the GPU core clock and
memory clock need to be capable of handing the speeds of the new firmware,
the VRAM size generally needs to be the same as the firmware you're
flashing to, and the VRAM bus bandwidth needs to be the same bit width.  A
lot of PC video cards, even the same 'model', will change one or all of
these characteristics.  Successfully flashing with a Mac ROM is not easy -
with the Radeon 7000 series, one of the few cards capable of being flashed
with the Mac ROM was the PCI 7000 made by Sapphire, as long as it was the
32MB version with the larger flash firmware capable of taking the Mac ROM,
and even then you'd be running the core and memory overclocked from what
the parts were rated for (the Mac card uses higher-grade parts).  If you
flashed the 64MB Sapphire card, you'd encounter wake-from-sleep video
corruption.

If anyone could also submit high-res scans of the Sun Radeon 7000 card,
and the part numbers of the VRAM chips and firmware, we could determine
some of the critical speeds, firmware capacity, and VRAM bus width that
will help with cross-flashing.  I'm going to guess that the Sun part is
going to be very similar to, if not identical to, the Mac one, but it
would be good to have confirmation.

- Nate