[rescue] best NIC for Solaris/x86?

Sean Batt sean at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed May 4 20:52:43 CDT 2005

On 05/05/2005, at 3:52 AM, Francois Dion wrote:
> On 5/4/05, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at mail.zill.net> wrote:
>> Anyone have a favorite NIC for Solaris/x86 ?  I am tempted to put in a
>> QFEPCI I have sitting around, but really only need one port.

Brilliant! I wish I'd thought of that.

>> Any Gigabit NICs worth getting ?

[Good advice about Intel nics deleted]

> Broadcom gigabit works fine. Really, I haven't found anything from
> broadcom, 3com or intel that dont work.

The Broadcom gigabit chip in the Dell GX280 doesn't work with
Sol 10 x86 and the driver available from Broadcom's site works
for a few minutes before Solaris generates a wordy kernel error
message about dma being used incorrectly by the driver, "report
this to your vendor."

Solaris 10 for me has been one failure after another;  so bad I
just can't quite believe its happening and had to go out and buy
an HP C3600 with an FX5pro to remind myself how hard it is to get
some gear up and running at all.

> Good old intel pro/100 if you dont need gigabit work really well.

The Tulips and 3com's I've got have been disappointing, so the I'll
try an intel pro 100 next. I guess I got the nics cheap because
they're stuffed :-)

Looking forward to reading other people's recommendations.

Sean
Sean at coombs.anu.edu.au