FW: [rescue] $35 50gig drives

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Wed May 4 16:34:05 CDT 2005

Phil Stracchino wrote ...
> Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > That wasn't the first computer I worked on, though.  That
> > would be an NCR
> > 315.  56 kilobytes of 12-bit "slabs".  Real wound core
> > memory.  Vacuum tubes
> > in the paper tape reader.  CRAM cards.  No OS at all, just
> > whatever program
> > you were running.  All the I/O, including the remote
> > terminals, were just
> > memory locations you had to poll.  Programming language was
> > "NEAT".  We ran
> > a half-billion dollar bank on that thing....
>
> Wow, I remember NCR NEAT.  It was the primary language on the
> Burroughs-NCR 8100 that I learned Algol on.

Was that the original NEAT or one of the later variations, like NEAT-III?  I
used NEAT-III, albeit briefly, on the NCR Century with which they replaced
the 315.

> The first machine I used was a frankenDEC, a PDP10 and a
> PDP11/70 linked
> by a custom high-speed interface that Hatfield Polytechnic
> called HETTI
> (Hatfield Eleven-To-Ten Interface).

Was that the machine that inspired the famous filk song, "The Crash of the
Ten and Eleven?"

FWIW, I ran forums and stuff on CompuServe, back when it was a DEC-10 (and
clones) shop.  Hmmm. 20 years ago.  How time flies.

-Shel