[rescue] Sun machines supporting half-height hard drives

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 4 11:04:55 CDT 2005

Tue, 03 May 2005 @ 16:41 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> U1 (one half-height drive, one low-profile in most cases, two low-
> profiles in some), U10, U30, U60, E250, E450 (if you're willing to
> sacrifice every other slot), and E3000.

I should have said I was curious about the E series...

So the E250 and E3000 will support them.  That's good.

My Ultra 1... I didn't think a HH would go in there.  Interesting.

> Hmmm.  The 68-pin connector is a showstopper.  You'd need a U10 with a
> Symbios^WLSI^WEngenio SCSI card, or an AX[ie] box mounted in an ATX case
> for those.

Nah, I was mainly curious if I could make use of them without an ugly
hack in an E series.

It's just a shame to have them idle and have to get two more drives when
I already have those.

> Most of them have flexible 68-conductor cabling to the drive cages.
> Except in the case of the Exx00 machines, you -could- fit a 68-pin drive
> somewhere (say, in the 3.5" bays of a U30/U60) , but it wouldn't be very
> elegant.

No, don't want anything like that.

Some HP, DEC, and other machines had a seperate 68-pin bus for OS
drives, seperate from the backplanes, which I found convienient.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in