[rescue] Sun machines supporting half-height hard drives

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue May 3 16:52:04 CDT 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 2:17 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Someone mentioned that a Sun E250 might be ideal for my uses.
>
> That leads to a question:
>
> Which Sun machines can handle 1.6" (half height) hard drives?

A Sparcserver 1000E will fit three 1.6 drives - two in the lower shelf
of the drive bay and one above the 5.25" cd-rom.  You'll need 68->50pin
adapters though.

As Johnathan said a U1 among others will fit at least one of the 1.6"
drives.  Not too many will accept the thicker drives in multiples.  I
know also that on some backplanes you can't skip every other drive
because there is not quite enough space for the top of the 1.6" drive
to clear the SCA connector above it.  It depends entirely on the drive
and the system.

If you have a lot of them you might want to find a used JBOD or
hardware RAID unit that accepts them.  I know the older Compaq tower
RAID units will fit 68pin 1.6" drives without too much trouble.  You
might have to buy extra sleds of the right type though but those tend
to be cheap.  These are the 50-pin ones but the 68-pin ones are usually
just as cheap:

http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/com50pinscsi.html

Mike Hebel
----
"Without balance and consistent growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous