[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue May 3 19:40:13 CDT 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Supposedly the new BX PC motherboard layout is supposed to make it
> easier to build cases with good airflow, and "cooling zones".

I've got a BTX machine right here (Dell Optiplex GX280).  It rearranges
the way components are in the case in order to accomidate better
cooling.  The processor is moved to the front of the case, where a 120mm
fan  pulls air through the front of the case (which is basically just a
big fan grille) straight to the CPU's heatsink.  The motherboard is also
on the other side of the case when compared to an ATX case, which means
that the PCI cards mount upside down as compared to the ATX.  Overall
the BTX GX280 is very well arranged inside, and approximately one
thousand times easier to work in than the ATX GX280 (which i did not
like the case of at all).  If anyone's particularly interested, i could
snap a few pictures of it and post them, but right now i should be
studying for my Statistics Exam tomorrow.  (Evening classes are fun,
especially when you've got 250 hours on last month's timesheet for work).

    -Dan Sikorski