[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 1 12:08:06 CDT 2005

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 @ 11:28 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 11:36:06AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I'm amazed at how many cases have negative case pressure, sucking in
> > dust, have imbalanced fans (total flow rate is never (much) higher than
> > the rate of the slowest fan set), have areas where heated air pools, and
> > are mostly turbulence inside, not airflow.
>
> Then what shoulqd be the proper way to do it?
>
> I've got a fan in front of the machine (with a filter) sucking *in*, and
> have the PSU fans and the rear case fan blowing *out*.  Is this not the
> proper way to have airflow through the machine?

On a PC, it is difficult to do.

Basically what you want is straight shot airflow, ideally speaking.

If you can't get that, at least try to go front-back, and avoid too much
internal turbulence.  That's a PCs big problem.  A lot of the air inside
is turbulent, which reduces cooling effectiveness, and traps a lot of
heat in little pockets here and there.

Positive case pressure can help here, depending on your case and where
vents are.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]