[rescue] Prices... Amazing

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue May 3 05:16:40 CDT 2005

Nathan Raymond <nate at portents.com> wrote:
[...]
> I was operating under the (perhaps wrong, someone correct me here if
> I am wrong) assumption that capacitive loss doesn't produce heat.

That's pretty much correct. (The inefficiency is pushed back into the
power distribution network and is not your problem.)

It depends on whether those figures given previously are VA or true
power. If it's true power, then the heat pumped out is proportional to
the power. If it's VA (likely, given it appears to have been worked
out based solely on current readings) then you have no idea of the
true power consumed, unless you happen to know what the power factor
is from some other source.

I note that the power factor of my kit averages 0.7. Some of it is
*much* worse than that, around 0.45 which is verging on criminal. Yay
for domestic supplies which are charged based on true power rather
than VA.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key

Please contribute to the beer fund and a tidier house:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZpndc