[rescue] Cray T3E-1200E with installation support from Crayand licenses on eBay

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon May 2 14:04:06 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005 08:30:39 -0400 (EDT)
"Ethan O'Toole" <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:

> There is this fellow Cray enthusiast that I talk to from time to time.
>
> This is his personal collection. This is a building in his back yard:
>
> http://users.757.org/~ethan/pics/geek/James_Cray/
>
> When your done, please mop up the drool.
Last weekend was the Vintage Computer Festival Europa 6.0
http://www.vcfe.org/ (I did an exhibition of sun4 / sun4c machines
running NetBSD.) I had the pleasure of an excursion to the Cary-Cyber
compute center. They now have in there:
- Cray Y-MP EL98
- Cyber 960
- Cyber 860
- Cyber 830
- NEC SX-4B
- NEC UP4800/675
- NEC SX-5
- Cray J916
- Cray J932
- Cray T3D
- Cray Y-MP C90
- Origin 2000

The EL98 is running 24/7. The 960 (air cooled) is operational but
switched on only at Saturday due to the imense power needs of more then
10 kW. The water cooled 860 still needs some plumbing for the cooling...
The other Y-MP C90 is "a real one", i.e. liquid cooled. It is new and
therefore not operational yet and it is only a front end for the T3D.
The Origin 2000 is only one rack (two card cages full of node boards) of
a four rack machine. They don't have enough room for the entire machine
in the compute center. The NEC SX machines are the same architecture as
the Earth Simulator...
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen