[rescue] Looking for PS/2 power tap

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Mar 14 22:31:07 CST 2005

Dan Duncan declared on Monday 14 March 2005 11:15 pm:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > > From: Chad Fernandez <fernande at internet1.net>
> > > Date: 2005/03/14 Mon PM 04:47:36 GMT
> > > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> > > Subject: Re: [rescue] Looking for PS/2 power tap
> > >
> > > John,
> > >
> > > I've never seen anything like that.  What do they typically get
> > > used for?
> >
> > External hard drive cases ;^)
>
> I used to hear stories about people burning out their keyboard
> ports from drawing too much current, but I don't know if this
> was true.

There's usually a 1A fuse of some sort on both the keyboard and mouse
port.  Now-a-days, it's a surface mount part.

The last time I tried powering something off a keyboard port, it didn't
work so well (got about 4.75V out, which wasn't close enought to 5V to
run the device).

I'd very much recommend against using one, versus drawing power from a
USB port or a wall-wart.

Pat