[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Mar 5 11:09:47 CST 2005

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 @ 10:28 -0800, Phil Stracchino said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Seagate Barracudas are real SATA drives.  I've yet to hear much bad news
> > about them.
>
> The Samsung 160GB drive I just bought for vorlon actually beat out the
> equivalent Barracuda slightly in performance tests.

I have been wondering about Samsung.  I saw a pair the other day and
they were as quiet as the Barracudas too.

They haven't been selling drives for very long have they?

> > It helps a lot to avoid the low end "desktop" drives, from everyone.
> > For example, the Seagate Medalist.  They aren't just slower than the
> > Barracuda and Elite drives, they are low quality as well.
>
> Medalists are crap.  They're the disk line Seagate got from Conner.
> They don't even make decent doorstops.

Yeah, they are too light... :)

I can't understand why Seagate ever sold them.

> > Fujitsu IDE I don't know anything about.  I have three Fujitsu UW SCSI
> > drives and nothing exciting to report, except that they seem to have
> > higher non-media failure rates than my IBM and Seagate SCSI drives.
>
> Most of my SUN4.1G disks and some of my SUN9Gs are Fujitsus, and have
> mostly been very reliable.  I think I've had two failures, one each 4.1G
> and 9G.

These are supposed to be enterprise class drives I got for $15 each.
They were 18GB, made in 1999, but unused.

> > IBM/Hitachi desktop (Deskstar) drives seem to have high failure rates,
> > but the Ultrastars seem to be very good.  I have not seen an IDE version
> > of the Ultrastar.
>
> I think the Deskstar *is* the IDE version of the Ultrastar, isn't it?

The ones I've looked at are physically different, but I've only seen a
few so far.

The main thing is they seem to have higher failure rates than the
Ultrastars.

Some people I know have no trouble, but the bad reports I do hear make
me avoid them.

The nickname "Deathstar" is popular.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]