[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 4 10:10:13 CST 2005

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 @ 02:28 -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> What about the 50GB 1.6inch SCA drives at www.softwareandstuff.com?
> About $40 each.
>
> So you pay $60 for 80GB SATA vs. $80 for 100GB SCSI (used vs. new
> though).

I can't use 1.6 inch drives in my desktop.  The size would be OK for
upcoming server upgrades.

I also want new drives.  I've had too many used drives die on me.

The SATA drives are brand new, whisper quiet, and they fit in my case.
More importantly, I was able to get them now, when I needed them.

I'll just have to live with a SCSI/SATA hybrid for awhile.  I already
have to live with IDE for my CD and DVD burners, because the SCSI
versions cost something like 4 times as much.

For my servers, I just need drives that will fit in a 4-bay SCSI case,
so the 1.6 inch drives are probably OK.  It can hold two full height
drives, so I think it is big enough for 4 1.6 drives.

My current plan is to find 4 drives around 80GB, and replace the narrow
SCSI cabling in my external SCSI case.  I want new drives, so I'll have
to just keep looking.

Every once in awhile someone liquidates a bunch of unused RAID drives.

Still, I wish SCSI prices would come down.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Work for something because it is good, not
just because it stands a chance to succeed." -- Vaclav Havel]