[rescue] OT: Re: Sun crushes the used Sun market

Isaac isaac at pobox.com
Wed Jun 29 14:30:03 CDT 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> maybe the dc3 clone was called the yak-2.  either way, makes me wonder
> how many gooneys wandering the world's hinterlands are gen-u-wine
> douglases or russkie knockoffs?

Li-2. Good question - nobody has good numbers for Russian production,
but they were built under license. Only about 430 DC-3's were built and
delivered as DC-3's. Over 10,000 were built for the US and British
militaries as the C-47[A,B] Dakota and C-53 Skytrooper.

Interestingly, Mitsui and Showa built DC-3's for the Imperial Japanese
Navy as the L2D(1,2,3,4) during WWII, having purchased a license and
patterns from Douglas in 1938.

-Isaac