[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Wed Jun 29 08:18:54 CDT 2005

At 08:53 AM 6/29/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 08:40:54AM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>
>> Those pixels (in your photo) are like 3D... so not only do they look
>> well defined but they seem to be domed towards the viewer.  I just
>> put my nose 6 inches away and while I can see each individual pixel
>> the same way on my screen, they're flat pixels not domed looking....
>> and the black lines are very thin.  If I stare too long the whole
>> thing wiggles and blurs and my eyes hurt.  I can't look at it too
>> long like that.
>
>I think the non-square/flat look might be lense distortion.  Either that
>or that was a really strange display.
>Joshua D. Boyd

almost undoubtedly in re the "non-square/flat" part, he did mention "a
little zoom" which would account for just about that much. The 'dome'
effect is more likely an artifact of the monitor drive, more of an optical
illusion than a real issue.

By the bye, comparing the size of the picture and a similar icon in
1280x1024 on my Dell Ultrasharp LCD, the "little zoom" is something like
about 3x.  That's more than a "little" zoom.  That's substantial
magnification, and almost anything looks like utter hooey if you peer too
closely.  Pick your particular drool-over super-duper sex symbol, and peer
at their facial pores through the same magnification.  Looks like crap,
don't they?

Also, the previous poster in re doing colour corrections on an LCD is
correct.  If this is commerecial work you're doing I'd be really careful at
comparing the Pantone chips to your output, you're liable to be a long way
off.  If it's all just on-screen video at TV or worse resolution you'll be
able to get away with it.

Humour us all here.  Do your eyes a favour, too, and help keep that
exceptional visual acuity for a few years longer.  Scoot back a little in
your chair, get a little space betwixt the pixels and the pixellated, and
see if you can still function.

(Come to think of it, it's time to take my own advice.  I could move this
one back a few more cm if I got the junk off the back of the desk....
<SHOVE>  )

--
wes will