[rescue] Follow-Up : Changing IP address in Solaris 10

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 27 11:13:54 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:55:46AM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:

> There were a couple of other similar question/answer sets similar to
> that, using KILL -HUP to reload config files vs using some flag to an rc
> type script, etc.  In any case, I didn't get that gig.

Back in July of 1996 when I was interviewing here for a job before
moving here, I interviewed at a large company that sells systems for
encrypting movies over sattelite feeds.

I had just had a discussion with my friend Mark before I left about how
insecure Yellow Pages (as NIS was called then) was. One question I was
asked was how do you share logins between diverse UNIX systems. I
did not answer YP and have been forever blacklisted at the company.

The next day I interviewed at the Computer Science Institute at Hebrew U.
I was asked about YP and frowned. I told them that it wasn't very secure
in an environment where there was a chance of getting hacked. We went
on to have a half hour discussion on how insecure YP was and the home
grown system they used instead. Kerberos had been developed but was not
yet widespread. I got the job.

One of the more interesting projects I worked on was a MSGINA, the part
of windows NT (written in plain C no less) that did logon authorization.
Samba's MSGINA and it's direct support for Windows passwords were several
years in the future.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoN  Skype: mendelsonfamily. Looking for work as a CTO or consultant in
handheld gaming, large systems development, handheld device construction, etc.
See U.S. patent applications  20050108591,  20050107165.