[rescue] Follow-Up : Changing IP address in Solaris 10

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Jun 27 10:55:46 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 04:45:38AM -0400, Jeff Cole wrote:
> Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
>> Grrr....ipnodes.  Why did Sun have to put IPv4 addresses in a
>> file meant for IPv6 and then have that file trump the good ol'
>> /etc/inet/hosts file!  Grrrr.....
>
> I usually just do sys-unconfig. Doesn't take too long and makes sure
> all the appropriate files get updated.

*grumble*

A few years back, I had a phone interview with the technical screener
at a company.  One of the questions was "How do you change the IP on a
Solaris box?"

I answered with, "Edit /etc/inet/hosts, /etc/defaultrouter,
/etc/hostname.hme0, and /etc/inet/netmasks, reboot."

This was the wrong answer.  They had ONE right answer for all UNIX
related questions, and the only right answer to that question was
'sys-unconfig.'  We all know, there's only ever ONE way to do anything,
right?

There were a couple of other similar question/answer sets similar to
that, using KILL -HUP to reload config files vs using some flag to an rc
type script, etc.  In any case, I didn't get that gig.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org