[rescue] installing bigger HD in Sun SparcEngine AXe

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Jun 25 10:52:01 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 11:30, velociraptor wrote:
> I don't think the Solaris version matters.  I believe it is a
> limitation of the IDE controller.  However, you may have
> to upgrade OBP to use drives without Sun firmware; you
> may also have to patch your version of Solaris.

Yes, it is a limitation of the chipset.

Unless it is ATA133 it will not address more than 137GB (there are a few ATA100 that implement the extension but they are rare).

Whether someone will take the SATA driver for x86 and compile it for SPARC, then use the cheap PCI cards that use the same chipset, is an open question ... it will probably happen now that we have OpenSolaris.

--Patrick