[rescue] installing bigger HD in Sun SparcEngine AXe

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 10:30:06 CDT 2005

I don't think the Solaris version matters.  I believe it is a
limitation of the IDE controller.  However, you may have
to upgrade OBP to use drives without Sun firmware; you
may also have to patch your version of Solaris.

This thread is oriented towards SunBlade 100's, but is
a good summary:

http://www.gekkou.co.uk/forum/read.php?f=1&i=2890&t=2557

Basically it boils down to:

"In stock Solaris 8/9 /etc/format.dat has no entry for 160 or 130GB.
disk.
You could edit Disk Geometry info. running prtvtoc /dev/rds/cxtyd0s2
and see Sun INFO DOC ID 42084, label, newfs."

Folks on there also recommend using cable select if there are
multiple IDE drives.

Google for "solaris ide 'large drive' support" for more links.

=Nadine=