[rescue] Backups

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:42:23 CDT 2005

On 6/19/05, Jeffrey Nonken <jjn_rescue at nonken.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:25:33 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >
> > There are only about three or four DVD writers that write with
> > consistent quality.  I can't remember the URL right now, but there
> > are a group of guys that are just nuts enough to put drives through
> > the full Plextor write/read test suite, reporting the results.
>
> I'd be very interested in finding this information. I'll try a search,
> but if you have an distinguishing keywords, that might help. Searching
> for your phrase just nets me a buttload of reviews, primarily for
> Plextor drives.

Well, when you are trying to backup your game CD ROMs, you
learn which sites are good pretty quick or you end up with a lot
of coasters.  I've gone back to cdfreaks.com most often.  YMMV
As well as the two Nate mentioned, cdrinfo and cdrlabs.

Knowing the details of the drives is important, but the quality of
the media varies pretty dramatically as well.  It's probably the
most important factor to longevity of optical media, outside of
proper storage (e.g. reasonable temps and no UV exposure).

My Dual Layer DVD writer is a Lite-On.  My last CD writer
was a Sony; in retrospect, I wish I had purchased a Lite-On.

=Nadine-