[rescue] *****SPAM***** Re: Backups

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 20 00:20:26 CDT 2005

Sun, 19 Jun 2005 @ 08:56 -0400, Jeffrey Nonken said:

> I'd be very interested in finding this information. I'll try a search,
> but if you have an distinguishing keywords, that might help. Searching
> for your phrase just nets me a buttload of reviews, primarily for
> Plextor drives.

I remember the guys used the Plextor tools, made charts and graphs for
each drive reviewed, covering several different media with each drive,
and they covered quite a few brands.

None of that is likely to help I guess.

I would start with the major CD/DVD websites, because that is how I
found all the reviews I read.

Some suck too, so bring your boots.

> > The most obvious problem being the fact you must have an image the
> > size of the media.  If you don't, then you cannot use a burner for
> > backup at all.
>
> Incremental writing
> Similar to packet writing used for CD-R media in which files can be
> recorded one at a time. The minimum file size is 32 Kb as this is the
> minimum error correction code block size for DVD. A disc being written
> incrementally can only be played back on the DVD-R drive until a final
> lead-in, data and lead-out is written. Only finalized discs, those to
> which data cannot be added, can be played back on a player.

I've never been impressed with packet writing.  It was horrible on CDs,
and I'm not all that thrilled with the DVD variation, though it does
seem to be better.

I've only seen it elsewhere, as I've still not gotten it working at
home.

Also, the other problem with CD and DVD media is that the iso filesystem
sucks.  Too many limitations, and too many standards among Windows,
UNIX, and Mac systems.

> > Absolutely.
> >
> > I bristle any time someone refers to corporate data as highly
> > important while dismissing my own.
>
> I already explained what I meant by that comment.

Now you'll have to explain what you mean by this one.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]