[rescue] New lamps for ... er, large UPS for smaller

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Jun 20 09:34:31 CDT 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 08:33, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Here we are, getting established in New Hampshire.  We have with us
> here a fully functional SU3000RM that has now made a round trip from
> Hew hampshire to North Carolina and back to New Hampshire ... and we
> can't use it.  There isn't a circuit in the house rated for enough
> current to plug it into -- it's a 120V UPS, but requires a 30A
> outlet.
>
> We offer this SU3000RM in trade for a working 120V SU2200RM, which
> will work on a regular 20A circuit.  It includes batteries, but one
> of the batteries has a broken (physically broken, not blown
> electrically) fuse link that would have to be replaced.  (Power
> Protection Partners doubtless has them.)

I've run APC 3000VA UPS's off of 20A circuits before and never have had
a blown breaker yet, even with a decent (>1/2) loading.

> You wouldn't happen to know the maximum charging current draw on the
> SU3000, would you...?

It's probably not more that 3 amps, max.  Actually, I'd be suprised if
it was that high.

Just don't try plugging in >13A or so into it and you should be fine.
(80% of circuit breaker rating - 3A for charging).

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org