[rescue] Backups

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Jun 18 07:47:57 CDT 2005

velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I've never seen an LTO or DLT that was not wide SCSI, or Diff/Wide
> SCSI. I meant from the standpoint of streaming data to them. I'd
> seriously doubt the ability of an x86 box with IDE drives to be able
> to provide the sustained output to necessary to keep a local SCSI
> DLT streaming--but I'm guessing.

How fast do you need to feed data to a DLT? I did this test on an old
IBM IDE disk attached to my desktop - both were made last century.

abuse at vindaloo:/mnt2$ sudo tar c korma | dd of=/dev/null bs=1024k
7+56414 records in
7+56414 records out
586967040 bytes transferred in 27.247349 seconds (21542171 bytes/sec)

(Yes, I made sure it wasn't cached.)

> Maybe SATA RAID-5?

I built one of these for work the other day using a 3ware 9xxx
controller and a pile of 300GB Seagate 7200.8 disks. I get about
120MB/s from the array, which seems to be a limitation of PCI rather
than the disks.

The 7200.8 disks seem to be very much like SCSI disks with a SATA bus
interface. They have a five year warranty, and support TCQ which is
what normally makes SCSI perform better than IDE.

--
Children should neither be seen nor heard from - ever again.
								- W.C. Fields