[rescue] Backups

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Fri Jun 17 16:09:36 CDT 2005

Quoth Jochen Kunz ...
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:23:05 -0400
> velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've never seen an LTO or DLT that was not wide SCSI, or Diff/Wide
> > SCSI.
> The DLT III / III XT (10/20 / 15/30 GB) drives are narow SCSI.

I've got a couple of the 15/30 DLT III XT units.  One is on my SPARCstation
Classic, one on my 4xR10k/200 SGI Challenge L.

> My main machine at home is an Octane R12k 300 MHz, 9 GB and 18 GB UW
> SCSI disks, DLT III XT dive and it can't keep the drive
> streming too. (I use xfsdump(1M))

Hmmmm.  My SS Classic is hopeless in the "keep the DLT streaming"
sweepstakes, but the Challenge reliably streams 98% of the time; throughput
is about 1.2 MB/sec.  That's probably in "barely streaming" territory.  The
machine's quiet when the backup stuff is run, but it's not comatose.  I've
mounted the DLT internally on the Challenge, so it's on the same SCSI chain
as the disk drives, and they are all SE.  I'm also using xfsdump.

I also tried the DLT on my R10K/200 Indigo2, but I can't remember if it
streamed or not.

I like DLT a _lot_.

-Shel