[rescue] SunStudio 10 - Free ?!?!

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 09:47:36 CDT 2005

On 6/15/05, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at mail.zill.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:51:21PM -0400, Francois Dion wrote:
> > On 6/14/05, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at mail.zill.net> wrote:
> > > Apparently you can get 1 copy of Sun Studio 10 for free:
> > >
> > > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/
> >
> > You'll get the license in email. It is for OpenSolaris. I dont think
> > you can install on Sol 10 according to the license.
>
> I cannot find a place where it says that.  The link to the Install and
> Setup Guide lists "System Requirements" as Solaris 8, 9 or 10 for x86
> or SPARC.

Good point. I'm not a lawyer, and between the SLA and entitlement, the
language is fairly vague. However, the reason I was saying that is
this:

> >From the License:
>
> Permitted Use: Provided that You are a participant of the OpenSolaris
> community,

This is the sticky point. Depends on what it means to be a
"participant of the OpenSolaris community". Right now, OpenSolaris
requires Sun Studio to compile. You can install it on one machine
(license is 1 user, 1 copy, non transferable). So once it's installed
on your OpenSolaris box, you've used the license. Or can you be a
participant in the OpenSolaris community simply by installing
OpenSolaris base (aka Nevada aka Solaris Express b16) on a machine? Or
even just by downloading the 4 ISOs?

> You may use the software for Research and Instructional,
> Individual, and Commercial Use to design, develop, test, or otherwise
> engineer software.

Also, according to the SLA, under section 3, Permitted Use:
If you dont fit b,c,d or e, you are (a) evaluation, 90 days
(b), (c),(d) and (e), as I read it all mention only for internal use.

That raises more questions:
Since you cant release externally any binaries made with this, does
this mean you can only contribute to opensolaris by buying a license?

Or can you contribute source that was developped with this tool?

To release a distro based on opensolaris, do you need the full
commercial sun studio 10?

I unfortunately dont have any answers. I'll be asking clarifications
to my Sun rep, tough.

Francois