[rescue] "I prefer a GUI"

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Tue Jun 14 14:13:09 CDT 2005

>> Try Eric
>> S. Raymond on for a quick look, he says it better than I.
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
>
>Printing. For some reason Unix printing has pretty much always been a
>disaster area :(

And, since all printing is when it comes right down to it is just writing a
"file" to a different "disk," and since it is one of the things that
all-but-everybody HAS to be able to do, there is absolutely no excuse for
the hoops and hurdles I just went through to set up shared CUPS access on
my local internal network.

You would think that a print spool would be the one thing everybody could
do in a trice, and that the software and driver people would have it all
layed out in rows; but instead it seems to be one of the largest hunks of
my sysadmin day, dealing with crap in the print spool and printers that won't.

(The home CUPS problem turned out to be a one-character typo in the config
file, 10.0.0,10 instead of 10.0.0.10. There were NO error message in any of
the logs pointing to that config.  The stupid thing would print the test
page from the web interface all day, perfectly, but files sent from the
print menu of programs would just go to never-never, not even an event in
the job log, let alone anything in the spool or out of the printer.  It
took an amazing amount of time to track this down, and two seconds to fix
it.  I have it on good authority that I'm not alone in this
printing-problem boat.)

--
w will