[rescue] Sun E6500 question

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Mon Jun 13 14:01:18 CDT 2005

> So, Sun's "strategy" (which I used to think was quite sensible) is - or
> was - to introduce pipeline changes in odd-numbered revs, process changes
> in even numbered revs.  Right?  But in the US-III, they broke their own
> rules... the II languished while we waited, and waited, and waited for the
> III to come out - new pipeline AND the first to use copper, smaller
> geometries, etc.  Grrrr.  *While* we were waiting, why not drop the II
> from .18um to .13um and ramp it up a couple of notches speedwise?  Or,
> even if they couldn't squeeze that many more Mhz out of the US-II
> pipeline, AT LEAST take advantage of lowered heat dissipation, or maybe
> even make some relatively small changes like bringing the L2 on-chip?

You are assuming Sun had the development & manufacturing power to get
these additional models out. Looking at recent Sun history I really
doubt it. They are struggling to stay on par with competitors but are
constantly delivering too slow and too late so it really looks like they
are doing their best in the limited budget.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)