[rescue] Sun E6500 question

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Jun 13 13:34:39 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:33:53AM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> So, Sun's "strategy" (which I used to think was quite sensible) is - or
> was - to introduce pipeline changes in odd-numbered revs, process changes
> in even numbered revs.  Right?  But in the US-III, they broke their own
> rules... the II languished while we waited, and waited, and waited for the
> III to come out - new pipeline AND the first to use copper, smaller
> geometries, etc.  Grrrr.  *While* we were waiting, why not drop the II

IMHO:

I think Sun realized that the EXX00 series was -too- capable, so they
had to kill it by not producing higher clocked CPUs and let software
bloat run its course.

I can't seem to figure out which newer modules go with which newer
systems - unlike the earlier MBus module system where you could just
about mix and match anything from anywhere.

Switching to Solaris 10 on x86 for many systems here - at least
Opterons are decent.

--Patrick