[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Jun 12 09:37:28 CDT 2005

" From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
"
" On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:26:37AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > i was told by a hpux 10 developer, in no
" > uncertain terms, that the sV kernel was <crap>.  10.20 and probably 11
" > too, had a bsd-based kernel.
"
" The System V kernel was never designed to be a production kernel. It was
" designed to provide a level of function from an R&D organization. AT&T sold
" binary licenses for $60 for 2 users and $250 for unlimited users, whether you
" bought it direclty from AT&T or bought it from a comapny which had a source
" license ($100,000).

hmmm...

i worked for bell labs at a facility attached to at&t's largest
factory, developing products for that factory to make, for seven
years.  we were an all-sV shop; that's where i learned unix - on my
regular login - and launched my sysadm career.  there were more than
10000 of us including the factory workers, and afaik our use of unix
was sop for the company.

we ran sV on everything from at&t 3bs and 386s to vaxen to an amdahl.
towards my end we started to get suns running sunos 4.1...

" I'm not counting SUN because AFIK, they did not buy a license from AT&T,
" they bought a company which had a license.

vice versa.  when solaris 2 was a-borning, at&t owned a large chunk of
sun; early results were the sV-ish features in sunos.  sVr4 was also
getting settled around then.