[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Fri Jun 10 10:05:52 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:01:05AM -0400, velociraptor wrote:
> On 6/9/05, Joost van de Griek <jvdg at sparcpark.net> wrote:
> > On 2005-06-09 23:14, velociraptor wrote:
> >
> > > [...] there is a pi**ing contest b/w the guvvy IT manglers as to who has
> > > managed to solve what problem with Exchange.
> >
> > Never heard of anyone solving a problem with Exchange. Introducing them,
> > yes. But solving..? ;-)
>
> That's sorta the point, right?  The problems are endless
> so they all have something to crow about.

Maxtor had a success with one of their NAS boxes: it could be used to
store all the Exchange mailbox information.  When the Exchange
server(s) went down they could just be rebooted and come up right away
rather than have to rebuild the mailbox (or whatever the process is
called), which with a lot of users can take hours.

> If the were running mail on *nix, even something MAPI, like
> Samsung Contact, they'd have no problems and therefore no
> nothing to measure in the pi**ing contest.

It is job security... if $client had moved all their stuff to
Linux/Unix, they would hardly ever call me ... instead they insist on
keeping their Windows XP client machines.

--Patrick