[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Thu Jun 9 19:55:09 CDT 2005

   On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> What about when your perfectly working machine is EOLd and remotely
> disabled to keep you from "doing irreparable harm to the corporation"?
>
> *THAT* is what worries me about DRM.

   That's why you don't run critical applications on machines that
have D"R"M in hardware.  Pure and simple.  Only an idiot would.

   Any hardware provider that sticks their middle finger in the air
at Hollywood and the RIAA and refuses to ensconse D"R"M then will have
a serious advantage in the commercial marketplace going forward.

> [DRM] doesn't work for its stated purpose, period, end of story.

   No kidding.  I know folks that can still build, from scratch,
"devices" that might be used to "pirate intellectual property"
(like tape recorders, or even more primitive, wire recorders).  We've
"been there, done that" and all "copy protection" methods that I've
seen have both failed and driven their sponsors out of business.

> It's (mostly) unstated purposes could be horrible.

   That's the big worry, but of one looks outside the influence
of the "Hollywood mafia" (the USA), it may not be all that bad.
Lots of countries will refuse to put up with such nonsense, and
those countries will be where the future lies, not in a backwater
with perpetual copyright and hardware enforcement of the whims
of the master class.  Can one imagine China bowing to Warner
Brothers and the RIAA?