[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 9 18:25:01 CDT 2005

Thu, 09 Jun 2005 @ 06:59 -0400, Lionel Peterson said:

> [...]

As a softare professional, I don't see its place at all.

*NO* copy protection does anything except annoy and hinder legitimate
buyers.

The pirates just work around it.

If DRM becomes foolproof somehow, then they'll also use it for
unethical/immoral actions.

I could do without digital music, but what are you going to say when
you must pay $0.10 every time your word processor starts, or your shell
launches a command?

What about when your perfectly working machine is EOLd and remotely
disabled to keep you from "doing irreparable harm to the corporation"?

*THAT* is what worries me about DRM.

It doesn't work for its stated purpose, period, end of story.

It's (mostly) unstated purposes could be horrible.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [javalin: an unwieldy programming weapon used
to stab a software project through the heart until dead]