[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 9 17:54:45 CDT 2005

Tue, 07 Jun 2005 @ 11:16 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 06:03:20PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > > You can run OpenGL over the network using DGL or GLX extensions to X.
> >
> > What about the OpenGL and 2D X software that requires direct frame
> > buffer access?
>
> Well, glReadPixels and glDrawPixels still works fine.  What more frame
> buffer access should you really need?
>
> That said, if possible, you should try to use textures instead of
> gldrawpixels.  It is likely faster for local use, not to mention
> a major boost for network use.  But that isn't always possible.

A lot of code seems to render images on the CPU, then ship that to the X
server.  Either because X doesn't have everything the app needs, or
they are just redundant like that.

> > A lot of even 2D apps run poorly over a network if their data changes a
> > lot, or they are just written poorly.
>
> Well of course badly written apps run badly.

...and so do well written applications that need to ship a lot of data.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]