[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 9 18:21:45 CDT 2005

Thu, 09 Jun 2005 @ 13:52 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:40:52AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Also, that APple was able to keep x86 OS X quiet for over 5 years is quite
> > impressive.
>
> Huh? It was an open secret. The x86 build of the OS X was always done,
> there was a guy whose job was to test it for compatability (make sure
> it works). Mac magazine pundits, would mention it every once in a while
> and occasionaly PC pundits such as John Dvorak would also mention it.

According to an Apple insider, Intel was hardly the only thing.

They supposedly have had it running on MIPS and Alpha as well.  Never
heard anyone mention SPARC, but I would not be surprised.

In fact, I would be far more surprised if they did *not* have it running
on several hardware platforms.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [javalin: an unwieldy programming weapon used
to stab a software project through the heart until dead]