[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 9 13:57:20 CDT 2005

Tue, 07 Jun 2005 @ 11:07 -0400, David L Kindred (Dave) said:

>     Charles> The problem as I see it is the use of such accelerations
>     Charles> creeping into even application and other software.  It's OK
>     Charles> if it is optional, but I think we are not far away from
>     Charles> even server systems being GUI dependent, and requiring
>     Charles> local displays.
>
> <sarcasm>
>   Well of course, don't see that it has to be that way?  How can a Unix
>   server compete with a Windows server if it doesn't have a flashy
>   mind-numbing GUI and an expensive display device connected?
> </sarcasm>
>
>     Charles> Yes, I think people are that dumb.
>
> See the above, and a large company in WA.

I remember a shop that was *very* well run, all UNIX and VMS, and most
of it running on Alpha and high end Intel server boards.  The local
managers understood the reasoning behind having no graphics, and things
were evidently pretty smooth.

However, one day some VIP PHBs came through for a tour.

They were alarmed to find such outdated systems, and you can probably
imagine the rest.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]