[rescue] Looking for a lunchbox sparc

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu Jun 9 13:23:09 CDT 2005

Someone generated the quantum flux that came across as... Jody Stephens
> I finally buckled down and started learning C. I am thinking that a
> minimal environment would help show me relative costs of various
> programming idioms better than my thinkpad. I've also noticed that I
> tend to be a lot more thoughtful if the edit->compile->test loop takes
> a bit longer than an eye blink. I also find that the less distraction
> (web browsers, blinking 24 bit graphics, backgrounds) the easier it is
> to focus. So I've decided to go minimal.
>
> I would use my IPX, but it is inexplicably missing it's NVRAM chip. I'm
> seeing prices of ~$15-$20 for new NVRAM chips, which seems a bit
> excessive. I seem to remember there being mention of people having,
> IIRC, "metric buttloads" of the lunchbox machines lying about. If that
> is the case I'd be happy to take a couple off of your hands for cost of
> shipping and your time. (LX || Classic || IPX) is what I'm looking for,
> I don't need a drive with it, but a working NVRAM would be great. Or if
> someone has a spare working NVRAM for an IPX that'd be great as well.
> If nothing else a Sparc 2 or Sparc 1(+) would satisfy. I'm
> located in Denver, Colorado USA. Thanks.

As a person who used to buy a lot of lunchbox Sparc systems on E-Bay -
you're better off buying the new NVRAM.  It'll be cheaper overall since
those damn lunchbox systems have just enough metal in them to increase
their shipping cost..

Mike Hebel
----
"Without balance and consistent growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous