[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 9 05:40:52 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Enestvedt" <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu>
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

> Well, that does it: The Steve has made it official that Apple is moving
> to Intel within two years, and the copies of the new Xcode they're
> hading out at the doors will build fat binaries.
>   Wow.

The interesting take on this that I heard earlier this week was that the new
Intel chips have/will have DRM capabilities built-in, and that as Apple
becomes more ov a media/content company, maybe they are switching platforms
to get the ability to bind content to a CPU. I haven't researched this at
all, and I am not current on DRM issues with new/upcomig Intel CPUs, but it
does make a certain amount of sense.

Also, that APple was able to keep x86 OS X quiet for over 5 years is quite
impressive.

I suspect we will see constrained compatibility in OS X once it becomes OS
x86 ;^) I think it will resemble early Solaris on x86 compatibility, but
with Apple delivering multiple systems 100% supported. I bet once you peel
off the Intel Inside sticker, you would be hard-pressed to tell it is an x86
Mac without opening the case...