[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Tue Jun 7 10:15:52 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:03:02AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Mon, 06 Jun 2005 @ 20:43 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:
> It solves a real need: performance.

I think it solves it the wrong way though... there is nothing inherent
in any X app that should *require* DGA, merely use it if it is
available.
> Also, even with plain remote terminals, a lot of applications eat up
> tons of X memory.  I tried to deploy some X terminals with 64MB of RAM,
> and found that a lot of apps used that up rather quickly.

Netscape's browser used to be the biggest criminal in this case.

Try turning off backing store in the X terminal's config as a starting
point.

Alternatively use Xvfb and then let that X server store the X atoms
(xlsatoms is the command to run to see what is going on, btw) and just
display on the X terminal.

--Patrick