[rescue] From Macintouch

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 6 17:19:21 CDT 2005

Mon, 06 Jun 2005 @ 14:45 -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle said:

> so then, do they start selling macosx as a standalone package, with as
> many drivers as they can support, in direct competition with windows and
> linux?  uh, not if that cannibalizes hardware sales...

However... if they don't support generic hardware, then isn't Linux
a direct threat to them as it continued to gain popularity and
functionality on the desktop?

> looked at the latest benchmarks, but at _equivalent_ clock rates the
> intel/amd stuff isn't all that special.  so if/when ibm closes the gap,

AMD is about 30 percent faster clock for clock.

I've benchmarked my 2GHz AMD against a 3GHz Intel, and the AMD beats it
on several tasks, including mp3 encoding.  Otherwise they seem about
equal, which seems to justify AMD's "3000" rating for it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]