[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jun 6 10:18:23 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:06:25PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Anything that uses OpenGL acceleration, for example.

A number of programs that use OpenGL heavily are happy to run on a linux
machine and display on my Octane.  Some of them are amazingly slow this
way, others work downright decently.

> Even simple applications are enormously graphics heavy now, and shipping
> that over a network is going to get harder and harder.

Depends on how it is written.  Ideally one would do as much of the
graphics processing as possible in OpenGL itself so that assests can be
sent once and then each redraw doesn't have to send much more than a
command list.

Specifically, texturing caching and displays lists come to mind.

Now, I haven't paid much attention to how all this new antialiased GL
accelerated Linux widget code actually works, so I can't say that there
is any real hope for network access continuing to work nicely.  I'm just
saying that we shouldn't have to give up network usage to get the geegaws.