[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Jun 5 19:18:55 CDT 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Ryan Thoryk wrote:

> I have a bad feeling about Apple adopting x86 chips, mostly because
> the
> PowerPC platform is a fairly clean architecture right now (this
> reminds me
> of when Apple was interested in adopting the Alpha chip, but then
> the CEO
> of DEC turned them down, which was a stupid move for him haha - that's
> more of the reverse though).  They eventually went with IBM's
> workstation
> processor line, the PowerPC platform which was a stripped down
> version of
> the POWER processors.

Besides Steve Jobs, how could anyone justify replacing a young
architecture with huge scaling and growth potential (1989-1991 for
the PPC601 and POWER 1) that isn't about to hit a wall with one from
the 70's with so much legacy cruft it isn't funny.

<Johnnie Cochran in South Park>That does not make any sense... if
Chewbacca lives on Endor... you must acquit</JC in SP>

Andrew

"I BET WITH SOME LIQUID COOLING YOU COULD GET TO 500MHZ! OMGWTFBBQ!"
-- Bill Bradford joking about what to do with Cyclequads