[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 5 11:06:25 CDT 2005

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 @ 22:44 -0400, Nadine said:

> On 6/2/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, new code is coming out that won't run remotely, period, even X
> > stuff.
> >
> > I'm wondering how or even if that sort of thing will be addressed in the
> > future.
>
> What applications are you referring to?

Anything that uses OpenGL acceleration, for example.

It won't be long before pretty much all X font and other rendering will
require it, and it won't work remotely.

Then there are things which will work remotely, but only very poorly,
even on things like gigabit ethernet.

Even simple applications are enormously graphics heavy now, and shipping
that over a network is going to get harder and harder.

> Weblogic does not require either.  You tunnel to a port, authenticate
> via a browser and the whole administrative interface is available
> there.  I don't have much good to say about Weblogic, but there was
> that.

Weblogic and other browser based systems won't run my CAD, game, and
othe similar programs.

> IMNSHO, the "you must run a local graphical application" posture on
> the part of application vendors is a HUGE step back.

Perhaps, but then how else would you solve the problem?

As soon as you introduce the network, a lot of acceleration features may
as well not be there.  If you need them to run the application...

> More and more companies are trying to gain efficiencies in their
> operations by aggregating servers in data centers.  This kind of
> approach allows potential customers to write their apps off and not
> even consider a product which can't be administered remotely.

You are talking about WWW and other "terminal" types of applications.
Network applications basically.

I'm talking about X applications specifically.  They are requiring
support that is hard to manage over a network.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]