[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 3 01:41:35 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, velociraptor wrote:

> Apparently Websphere customers have complained about this enough that
> they have changed it so that you can just use a browser (before the
> admin tool was a java-thru-X app).  Unfortunately, it appears as if
> this migration is not complete, as it apparently requires a *local*
> browser running on the box.

Not true.  If it were, I'd have developers crawling all over my systems
at work, and we just can't have that. :)

It all depends on which interfaces you have bound to the "server1"
application server instance.  So long as it has something in addition
to 127.0.0.1, you'll be fine.

The downside to the new web-admin thing is that it's even -more-
confusing than the old crufty Java admin tool (which you can also get to
run wholly remotely if you bind the admin port to an interface other
than 127.0.0.1).

> IMNSHO, the "you must run a local graphical application" posture on
> the part of application vendors is a HUGE step back.

And just dumb.  IBM's newer POWER5 systems and large POWER4 systems
don't even have the concept of a local console.  The console is
abstracted through the service processor.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a