[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Jun 5 11:10:03 CDT 2005

Thu, 02 Jun 2005 @ 20:42 -0700, Brian Howe said:

> On 6/2/05, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, things like remote X and VNC only work if you can afford
> > the performance hit.
> >
> > If you need local display performance, a KVM is really the only way.
> >
> > Also, new code is coming out that won't run remotely, period, even X
> > stuff.
> >
> > I'm wondering how or even if that sort of thing will be addressed in the
> > future.

[ top posting fixed ]

> Yes, remote gui apps and desktops do take a performance hit over a
> KVM, however... they cost a hell of a lot less, require less
> hardware/power consumption and, considering its an Ultra5, the graphic
> performance is NOT the biggest priority.

I'm not talking specifically about a U5, just X applications in general.

> If you want decent performance on a graphical desktop, you are going
> to want to get an Ultra 60 or better. Even an Ultra 10 can run circles
> around a 5.

All of which is irrelevant to the problem I mentioned.

Also, how is a U5 going to outrun a U10, when they are usually the same
speed?

> What new code are you referring to? Please cite examples.

X code for starters.  Go Google for X, Gnome, and KDE and look at the
requirements.

OpenGL acceleration is going to be a basic requirement, and that alone
is going to eliminate a lot of network X usage.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]